How to guarantee your veneers will not look like Chicklets
Q: I want a new smile with porcelain veneers, but I see a lot of people who look ridiculous. What can be done so my smile does not look fake?
A: I always tell patients: “don’t worry, we won’t put you in the witness protection program; you will still look like YOU!” (The only problem is, I actually told this to a patient who REALY was in the witness protection program! (enter “gulp” sound here!)
Our patients tell us that after their treatment with us, people ask them if they lost weight or got a new hairstyle! (Better than: “Hey…new teeth?!)
How never to wind up with fake-looking veneers or implant crowns:
- Empress-Ivoclar brand porcelain for translucency and intentional irregularities called flutes and lobes, which break up the light to mimic real tooth enamel.
- Pre-op 3D iTero digital impression scans, (Not the goop!) to generate models of your new smile before the permanent work is made.
- Digitizing photos of select smiles from magazines or old pictures of yourself. The lab will use this as a guide to shape your work.
- Artistic shaping of the temporaries and the final porcelain work to create a natural look, with intentional imperfections.
- Have the significant other come to the temporary evaluation appointment to have some input in the final shade and shape. MAKE SURE YOU ARE 90% HAPPY WITH THE TEMPORARY VENEERS BEFORE MOVING AHEAD WITH THE PERMENANT ONES. A picture and mold of the temporary work will be sent to the lab to use as a guide for the final design.
- Don’t forget to treat the lowers too! They show when speaking.
- Our philosophy is to make you look better, healthier and younger; not to change who you are (and then have to change your name and move you to rural Iowa with a new job working in the local hardware and feed store).
Check out the veneer gallery page on our website to view awesome before and after pictures.